The following is a collection of issues currently discussed on the
u-boot-users mailing list - especially for the 2.x redesign.
I put them here to make it easier for everyone involved in U-Boot
development to get a more or less current list of requirements with
a simple web browser. Feel free to add or change requirement items
as needed to reflect the current status.
- 08 Jul 2007
Common Design Requirements / U-Boot 2.x considerations
- Support for very early debug output. This early output might be
implemented as simple macros using fixed baudrate output.
- Relocation from ROM to the end of available DRAM (configurable instead
of fixed link address).
- Simplistic device model. Hardware is initialized just before and
used only for the time of operation. Hardware must be released and
reset to a defined post-reset state after operation.
- Must operate in polling IO mode. IRQs shall be available as
- Shall use C language whenever possible. Reduce assembly sources
to the absolute minimum required (e.g. Resetcode, IRQ/Expt Shells)
- ... tbd ...