- Unix is a Third System
- Unix started as "pet" project by Ken Thompson at Bell Labs (SPACETRAVEL)
- First OS in a high level language C (invented by Dennis Ritchie),
which evolved together with Unix
- Used at university OS classes
- When it was successful, AT&T wanted to "make money" with it.
As AT&T wasn't allowed to sell it, so they licences the code
- As source was available, Unix evolved fast and diversified.
-> AT&T Unix, BSD (Berkeley Unix), Ultrix (DEC), AIX (IBM),
Solaris (Sun), HP-UX (HP), Xenix (Microsoft), etc.
|4.1. LinuxIntroduction||1. Denx Training Topics||4.1.2. History of Unix: Unix spreads|