- Unix started as "pet" project by Ken Thompson at Bell Labs
- First OS in a high level language C (invented by Dennis Ritchie), which
evolved together with Unix
- Used at university OS classes
- When it was successful, AT&T wanted to "make money" with it.
As AT&T wasn't allowed to sell it, so they licences the code
- As source was available, Unix evolved fast and diversified.
-> AT&T Unix, BSD (Berkeley Unix), Ultrix (DEC), AIX (IBM), Solaris (Sun), HP-UX (HP), Xenix (Microsoft), etc.
|4. General part||1. Embedded Linux Training course||4.2. History of Linux (Part Two)|