- In September 1983 Richard Stallman started the GNU project to build a complete free operating system.
- As it was a voluntary project, he chose Unix as a model so coordination of contributers would be easier.
- Stallman wrote Emacs, GCC and GDB as a foundation.
- Many volunteers contributed GPLd rewrites of Unix utilities (
- Most of the GNU project was done in 1992 - last part missing: a kernel!
- The FSF started work on The HURD, a micro-kernel architecture based on Mach kernel.
|4.1. History of Linux (Part One)||1. Embedded Linux Training course||4.3. History of Linux (Part Three)|