* Yocto Project: http://www.yoctoproject.org/
* Project description at http://www.yoctoproject.org/
"The Yocto Project™ is an open source collaboration project that provides templates, tools and methods to help you create custom Linux-based systems for embedded products regardless of the hardware architecture."
* OpenEmbedded - Definitions (see [OE2]
* Software framework to create Linux distributions for embedded systems
* This may include bootloader, Linux, and applications
* Is a set of metadata used to cross-compile
* License: GPL
* Poky platform builder: http://www.pokylinux.org/
* Poky is the Yocto Project build system
* Derived from OpenEmbedded
* Poky intended to be a stable, smaller subset focused on mobile environment.
* _By now development in the Yocto Project using Poky
is closely tied to OpenEmbedded with features being merged
regularly between the two for mutual benefit._
* BitBake: http://bitbake.berlios.de/
* Project description at http://developer.berlios.de/projects/bitbake/
"BitBake is a simple tool for the execution of tasks. It is derived from Portage, which is the package management system used by the Gentoo Linux distribution. It is most commonly used to build packages, and is used as the basis of the OpenEmbedded project."
Background and Goals see http://bitbake.berlios.de/manual/ch01s02.html
Short Yocto history (see [OE1], [OE2]):
* 2002/2003: OpenEmbedded: initially developed as build
system for the OpenZaurus distribution for Sharp Zaurus PDAs
* 2004: split into BitBake build system and OpenEmbedded
* Other distros started adapting OE: Unslug, OpenSimpad, GPE Phone
Edition, Ångström, OpenMoko...
* See http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/Success_stories
* 2006(?)-2008 Linux Start-Up OpenedHand developed a distribution called Poky Linux
(and the Clutter library).
* 2008 Intel buys OpenedHand; focus for Poky is now on Atom based devices
* 2010 Linux foundation starts Yocto Project: x86, ARM, MIPS, and Power Architecture®
* 2011 Work on common code base with OpenEmbedded:
* Public releases:
| Release || Date || Git Tag || Used for |
| v0.9.0 || October 2010 || Poky "laverne-4.0" || Internal |
| v1.0.0 || April 2011 || Poky "bernard-5.0" || ELDK v5.0 |
| v1.1.0 || October 2011 || Poky "edison-6.0" || ELDK v5.1 |
| v1.2.0 || (April 2012) || || ELDK v5.2 |