Topic BoardcanyonlandsFaq not in WebOrder
Applied Micro Canyonlands FAQ
Update CPLD Code
- In some rare cases it may be necessary or advisable
to update the CPLD code on the board.
New versions of the CPLD code are available from the
WARNING: this is a critical operation;
you may damage your hardware!
Think twice if you really know what you are doing.
- You need a JTAG programmer like the ByteBlaster II or
ByteBlaster MV to program the CPLD.
DENX Computer Systems GmbH
if you need one.
- We need software to control the JTAG programmer,
a BSDL description file for the CPLD used on the Canyonlands board,
and the CPLD code (in Serial Vector Format).
- Download and install the UrJTAG
Universal JTAG Library, Server and Tools package:
$ cd /usr/local/src
$ wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/urjtag/files/urjtag/0.10/urjtag-0.10.tar.gz/download
$ tar -zxf urjtag-0.10.tar.gz
$ cd urjtag-0.10
$ sudo make install
- Download the BSDL description file for the
Altera EPM240T100 CPLD:
$ cd /tmp
$ wget ftp://ftp.altera.com/outgoing/download/bsdl/EPM240T100.BSD
$ sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/share/urjtag/altera/epm240t100
$ sudo mv EPM240T100.BSD /usr/local/share/urjtag/altera/epm240t100
- Download the CPLD code from the
Note that this file comes in POF ( Programmer Object Format),
but for the UrJTAG tool we need it in SVF
(Serial Vector Format).
You can convert POF into SVF if you have access to the
- Plug the connector of the ByteBlaster on connector "CPLD_JTAG" of your Canyonlands board. Pin 1 is towards the serial connectors.
- Power on your Canyonlands.
- Now we can program the CPLD with the new code:
$ sudo jtag
jtag> cable ByteBlaster parallel 0x378
jtag> bsdl path /usr/local/share/urjtag/altera/epm240t100
jtag> part 0
jtag> svf /tmp/DES0225_12_CPLD_01.svf progress
Programming will take about 2 minutes.
You can safely ignore the ``unimplemented mode 'ABSENT' for TRST''
Available SVF Files:
Make sure you really
understand what you are doing.
Don't complain if you break your hardware.
You have been warned.