- In 1971 Unix was used at Bell Labs patent department for "word processing" (nroff(1))
- It was usefull, so Ken and Dennis got a new toy: PDP-11
- In 1974 Unix was introduced to the public
- AT&T was allowed to enter the software business, so they licenced the source code.
- Soon it was used at university OS classes
- As source was available, Unix was improved and improvements were merged back again
- Unix evolved fast and diversified. -> AT&T Unix, BSD (Berkeley Unix), Ultrix (DEC), AIX (IBM), Solaris (Sun), HP-UX (HP), Xenix (Microsoft), etc. Unix family tree
|4.1.1. History of Unix: Unix is born||1. Denx Training Topics||4.1.3. History of Unix: hard times|